[tdpodcast mode=”ytembed” podcast=”thisweekinlinux” episode=”82″]
On this episode of This Week in Linux, we have probably the most controversial episodes we have ever done for this show but before we get to all of that, we’re going to cover some exciting news like a new version of OBS Studio with release of OBS 24. Pine64 announces they are working a Smartwatch called the PineTime. A new update to the Enlightenment window environment with the release of E23. We got some new distro releases from Kali Linux, BlackArch and Linux From Scratch. Later in the show, we’ll get into the controversial topics like Richard Stallman resigning from FSF. A discussion on Twitter and the DLN Forum about whether people think Microsoft is trustworthy or not and how could they become trustworthy. Huawei is now selling Linux Laptops with Deepin Linux pre-isntalled. A new GIMP forked project was announced called Glimpse. Purism says that the Librem 5 is meeting it’s shipping date. And then we’ll emerge from the controversial section to finish out the show with some Linux Gaming News. All that and much more on Your Weekly Source for Linux GNews!
Sponsored by: do.co/tux
[tdpodcast mode=”downloads” podcast=”thisweekinlinux” episode=”82″ bitchute=”1″]
[tdpodcast mode=”patrononly” podcast=”thisweekinlinux” episode=”82″ patronextras=”0″ patronshowstream=”0″ patronaftershow=”0″]
[tdpodcast mode=”subscribe” podcast=”thisweekinlinux”]
- 01:13 = Sponsored by Digital Ocean · [link]
- 02:38 = OBS Studio 24.0 · [obsproject.com]
- 07:29 = PineTime: $25 Linux Smartwatch · [twitter.com]
- 09:44 = Enlightenment DR 0.23.0 Released · [enlightenment.org]
- 11:49 = BlackArch 2019.09.01 & Kali Linux 2019.3 · [Links: blackarch.org, kali.org]
- 14:04 = Linux From Scratch 9.0 Released · [linuxfromscratch.org]
- 16:26 = Housekeeping
- 21:18 = Is Microsoft Trustworthy? · [DLN Forum]
- 26:19 = Huawei is Now Selling Linux Laptops · [forbes.com]
- 28:38 = Richard Stallman Resigns from FSF ·
- 33:31 = GIMP Has Been Forked, Meet Glimpse · [glimpse-editor.org]
- 38:56 = Purism is Shipping the “Librem 5” · [puri.sm]
- 46:25 = Valve Released 3 More Steam Labs · [steampowered.com]
- 49:23 = Lutris 0.5.3 Released · [lutris.net]
- 50:52 = Humble Bundles:
- 54:54 = Outro
Appreciate the callout and the perspective, as always.
Some controversial aspects of the FSF and Gnu Image Manipulation Program stories were certainly “unsavoury” and I truly appreciate how they were addressed with clarity, decisiveness and within the family-friendly boundaries of your informative show, Michael
Honestly, very glad Stallman is out. He should have retired a long time ago, and his political views have long been associated with FOSS “whackjobs”. His leaving means open source is finally serious enough that his behaviour is unacceptable.
@christopher_scott you’re welcome. I am going to change the forum link to your thread now
@ak2020 thank you very much for the kind words. The youtube comments for this episode were quite a mess so it’s quite refreshing.
@stobbsm I think it will benefit the ecosystem to have someone else in charge of those groups even if just to remove his insistence to do bad decisions. (Free Software vs Software Freedom, he picked the worst term he could apparently) When you add the vile things he said, its astonishing that he kept the position for so long.
You’re good at what you do! My son even listens with me, and he’s recently 11. The fact that you are able to make him care says a lot about you.
Continue the discussion at forum.tuxdigital.com
11 more replies