On this episode of This Week in Linux, we’ve got a lot of great news with new releases from Blender with version 2.90. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbons with Fedora Linux are now available to order. NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3000 Series have been launched. Manjaro Edition of the PinePhone from Pine64 has been announced. We’ll also take a look at a fantastic article that is on FrontPageLinux.com right now about the History of Unix & Linux. Later in the show, we’ll check out a new release from the team at Linux From Scratch and a new Container based distro from Amazon called Bottlerocket. Linux Mint releases their cool Warpinator tool as a Flatpak and Nitrux announced a pretty big change in their distro structure that will be interesting to see the community reaction for. All that and much more on Your Weekly Source for Linux GNews!
Downloads & Media
[tdpodcast mode=”subscribe” podcast=”thisweekinlinux”]
- 00:00 = Intro
- 01:04 = Welcome to TWinL 116
- 01:21 = Housekeeping
- Live Streams Are Back!!!
- Destination Linux & Hardware Addicts – my other podcasts
- Follow me on Twitter or Mastodon
- 02:57 = Blender 2.90 Released
- 05:55 = Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Fedora
- 08:55 = FPL’s History of Unix & Linux Guide
- 11:59 = Digital Ocean – Cloud Hosting & VPS ( https://do.co/dln )
- 13:27 = NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Series Launched | Hardware Addicts 18
- 15:42 = PinePhone Manjaro Edition Announced
- 18:17 = Bottlerocket: Amazon’s Container Distro
- 21:06 = Bitwarden – Open Source Password Manager ( https://bitwarden.com/dln )
- 22:51 = Linux Mint Releases Warpinator Flatpak</li>
- 24:29 = Nitrux 1.3.2 Drops Systemd for OpenRC
- 27:01 = Linux From Scratch 10.0 Released & DLN Forum Thread
- 32:31 = Outro
oops, I forgot that link. Thank you! updated the show notes
Thanks for this, @MichaelTunnell - as informative as ever! I’m particularly pleased about the Lenovo/Fedora tie-up. I agree that Fedora has a lot of potential in this way, especially if they perhaps smooth out some rough edges, though they do say it’s aimed at developers and so presumably expects more from users in terms of system admin skill too.
I am very excited about Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch and would welcome more enthusiasm from the DLN community too!
PinePhone updates are always excellent news too! I wonder if anyone’s done a video demonstrating it with all the different interfaces?
Yea, I think that is true for all of ThinkPads. I dont think those are aimed at consumers in general. They also said more models will ship with Fedora though which is great.
LFS is kind of a monster so thats why I gave the warnings I did but it is cool for people who want to learn so I included that thread in the shownotes
I will totally be doing that for sure!
Continue the discussion at forum.tuxdigital.com